Friday, March 25, 2016

Experience of Installing Custom ROM

I was sick of Stock OS of Zenfone Selfie provided by ASUS. So, I decided to flash custom OS, the Cyanogenmod on my phone.

Tools I used:

  1. CM13 .zip file by NIGHTLY
  2. TWRP recovery .img file
  3. ADB + USB Debugging
  4. GAPPS .zip file
  5. Bootlocker tool
Risks I took:
  1. I knew that rooting device would mean losing warranty on my phone. I anyways go to Nehru Place in case of any problems. Who does even go to company?
  2. I was doing it for the first time. So, that means if I do anything wrong, I would cause bricking the device.
Problems I faced:
  1. Initially I could not find correct GAPPS for my phone. I knew that Selfie is not Intel based as other Zenfone 2 are. So, it had to be ARM type gapps. Still, I downloaded both types in case I did something wrong. I flashed both one by one.and both failed. Then I realised that Snapdragon 615 was a 64-bit processor and then I downloaded the correct one.
  2. I was confused which file to download because most of the tutorials were for Zenfone 2 and not for selfie specifically. Many TWRP files confused me.
  3. ADB did not work once. Later I copied the img to the same folder as ADB (sdk>platform-tools) and it worked fine.
  4. The error "unfortunately setup wizard has stopped" kept popping. It left my phone unusable. I realised the step where I did the mistake. I and did the steps of flashing all again correctly.
  5. Still phone got stuck in a boot loop. I took out of battery and reboot. It worked fine.
Precautions I took:
  1. I made sure I had TWRP installed as soon as possible after unlocking bootlock.
  2. I kept reading and reading all the sources, and all the abbreviations, details over and over again before starting any step. I watched at least 20 video tutorials too. And they varied from each other which confused me even further. I did not start until I was sure what I had to do in the whole run.
  3. I took full Nandroid backup on phone as well as PC
  4. I figured out how to hard reset if anything goes wrong.
  5. I read extensively how to prevent bricking, and if possible how to do the unbricking.
Result:
Now I am running Android Marshmallow on my Zenfone Selfie with no bloatwares, and around 2gb RAM vacant. I have the nano-package of gapps so it saves space. It is so smooth and fast now. I am happy I learnt so many new things today while doing this procedure.

PS: I am having a wide-wide smile on my face.

2 comments:

  1. Hi sir...
    I was student of ur batch last yr august 2015 at gtb metro...
    Sir i m also very interesting in taking new challenges in mobile technologies.
    So sir,can u guide me for dis process.I have not rooted any of my devices till now,although i have some knowledge of rooting.
    My Phone-Lenovo vibe k4 note
    Wapp-8449415840
    I m following u on twitter since last yr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Unlock the boot loader. For me, ASUS officially provides an app for this purpose. Samsun and Sony also provides such apps officially. Check if your phone company also provides software to unlock the bootloader. (If not, google some alternative)
      2) First things before you proceed to anything, are my precautions I have taken. Installing TWRP may be a little tricky. Try youtube tutorials..

      More later :)

      Delete