Friday, July 22, 2016

A dialogue with sadhu baba

Baba was sitting on the dry sand, with a puppy. The puppy was crippled with a leg. I was standing next to them with my backpack waiting for someone to receive me.

He: My puppy is hungry. Give me ₹5 so that I can feed him.

Me: How do you manage to survive your own life?

He: Worse than even a prisoner

Me: Why so?

He: I don't even get to eat many times.

Me: Do you have to sleep hungry any day?

He: Many times every month. Sometimes even two days pass without eating anything.

Me: Then why choose such a path?

He: It has been long time since I left home. Now nothing can be done?

Me: How long?

He: 15 years have passed.

Me: And what was your age when you left?

He: I was 30 then.

Me: Did you have family?

He: I was married. I had two children, both boys. One was in 7th class and other was in 9th.

Me: Then why did you leave?

He: I was a  scrap and junk picker. I used to drink. My wife did not like it. She used to beat me whenever I come home drunk, which was almost always.

Me: And do you get to drink now? (with a smirk)

He: I beg in the whole town. By the end of the day, I make around  ₹100, and sometimes even ₹200. Then I can drink any brand I want.

Me: And you said, sometimes you have to sleep hungry?

He: Every day is not same. A good beg comes once in a blue moon. Mostly I get around 80-100 Rs. a day.

Me: Do you think you made a mistake leaving home?

He: Of course. I regret all the time. But what can be done?

Me: Won't your kids take care of you? You can go back, and apologise.

He: They will not even let me enter the house. They won't behave as my kids anymore. They are the mother's.

Me: Why stay in this hot region of India? Why not leave for Haridwar. You might earn more there.

He: You think so. But I have been to all parts of India. I earn more here. There, other baba are well established. They have the market.

Me: And why not go to metro city. Here in this small village must be difficult to live.

He: In many cities, beggary is crime. I tried in Delhi, Ajmer, Kanpur etc. No place makes survival easier, except where your mother tongue helps. People here think I am 'Baba' by choice and wisdom.  Only I know I did a mistake.

Me: Good luck. My car has come.
(And I left)

No comments:

Post a Comment