Saturday, July 30, 2016

Draupadi and Moon

The phrase 'chaand sa chehra' meaning  'a face like the moon', appears pleasant to most of the people. They compare the glow of human skin with the bright and beautiful looking white moon. But for me, it is the opposite. Moon is not white.

I know that moon has patches, and I know that you know that too. This gives birth to another phrase 'chaand mein daagh hai'. But I am not talking about that. I am actually talking about the color of moon.

The real color of surface of moon is almost black. I found it hard to digest first time, but all the sources I have ever read say that it is close to the color of burnt wood, ash or coal. It appears bright white to the we, the intelligent life forms on earth because of immense reflection of sunlight. Moreover, it's light isn't cool. Light has no temperature. It is mostly the IR that heats objects, and I strongly believe that moon also contributes in shooting some of solar IR radiations back to earth.

So, when I think of moon, the only face I can compare it with is that of Draupadi. Yes! The wife of Pandavas, and the chief female protagonist of Mahabharat. Many people don't know that true skin color of Drauapadi was black, or more like dusky. A real dark dusky. But people want to imagine her as the ultra light toned complexion lady, after whom the story revolves. She was beautiful indeed, yet dark in skin color.

So, the Moon (with capital 'M') and Draupadi have so much in common. Both  beautiful, both black, and people incorrectly believe that both are fair in color.

So next time you talk of Rihanna, you can aptly say she has a beautiful 'chand sa chehra'.

No comments:

Post a Comment